Thursday, February 2, 2012

DIY notebook/ sketchbook/ whatever-I-want-to-use-it-for-book.

Here is a quick tutorial on how to make your own little notebook.


You will need:
Card stock (I used a cereal box - of probably the worst cereal I have ever tasted, hence why you won't see the label in any photos)
Paper (preferable blank paper, but if you want to do something different I'm not going to stop you) I used 10 small sheets.
Needle and thread
Washi tape
A marker



1. Cut your card stock (mine is 11cm x 16cm / 4.3" x 6.3) (length x height)
and your paper (mine is 10cm x 15.5cm / 3.9" x 6.1")
You can do any size just remember that your paper should be a cm shorter in length and 1/2cm shorter in height, than your card stock.

2. If you want rounded corners then either use scissors or a more precise corner punch. 

3. Draw any design that you want on the cover.

4. Fold the paper and card stock in half and make holes with your needle - if you find it hard to make the holes you can use a hammer or a less violent object like a shoe :) 
I did the card stock first so that I wouldn't need any shoes/hammers etc.


5. If you made holes in the card stock first (like me) then line up the middle of the paper with the middle of the card stock and make holes in paper too. 

6. Take your needle and thread, I folded my thread double to make it stronger, and use a running stitch up the spine. Do it up the spine and back down again. Filling in the gaps between stitches as you come back down the spine.

7. Cover the spine with washi tape.


And TA DA!! You are done!

Now I feel better spending money on that specific box of TERRIBLE cereal :)

Have fun crafting.

Blessings
Gabi



9 comments:

mscdyson said...

I love this tutorial! I'm going to have to make one myself now.

chaseallyourdreams.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

Fabulous tutorial Gabi, I will most certainly be making a couple of these....as soon as I get myself some washi tape!

Jessica said...

I love this idea! I will have to try this. I stumbled upon your site on craftgawker and i loveit! Check out my blog. I am new in the blog scene but I hope you like it! http://apinchofpaleyellow.blogspot.com/

Cláudia Valéria said...

Thanks for share. I love it!!!

Lü Sielskis said...

Beautiful...tks for share!!


Kiss¨*

Sena said...

Such a cute idea and the design you drew on the cover is great! Love!

Anonymous said...

Such an adorable notebook! I love the design you drew on the cover! Buuuut I gotta ask.....what kind of cereal was it??? lol

Jenna said...

Okay, first off, great tutorial! Second, I have a good suggestion for poking holes!! If you have a safety pin lying around (I used a bigger one), you can use that to poke your holes. It's sturdy and the holes are really easy. (: Thanks again!

Jenna said...

Okay, first off, great tutorial! Second, I have a good suggestion for poking holes!! If you have a safety pin lying around (I used a bigger one), you can use that to poke your holes. It's sturdy and the holes are really easy. (: Thanks again!